Monday, April 16, 2012

Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas

Just put the little one to bed.  We had a good day today but boy was it HOT!  Tonight my hubby and I are going to have a little treat.  Frozen chocolate covered bananas.  Yum! I saw this recipe in an old issue of Martha Stewart Food Magazine at my mother in laws a while ago and have been meaning to try it.   After dinner I cut bananas crosswise into approximately 1” pieces (some are 1 ½”).  I inserted toothpicks and then put them in the freezer (on a plate covered with parchment paper).  It’s been about an hour so far.  You are supposed to leave them in there for two hours so by the time I finish this and take a shower it will be time to coat them with chocolate.   I don’t have measurements or pictures as I haven’t made them yet so I will update with those later but I will probably start with about ½ cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips.  You put them in a microwave safe bowl and microwave at 10 second intervals until the chocolate is melted.  Once all the chocolate is melted grab the bananas from the freezer and dip them in the chocolate holding them by the toothpicks you’ve inserted.  The chocolate should set quickly due to the frozen bananas but since tonight is such a hot night I may have to put them back in the freezer for a bit to set.  Then, enjoy!    Oh..in the magazine they coated these with sprinkles.  You can coat them with whatever you want (nuts, sprinkles etc.).  Once you dip the frozen banana in chocolate you then immediately dip it in whatever topping you want.  I’m not adding any tonight but if I were feeling ambitious I’d go for chopped walnuts or almonds. 
…and I wonder why I can’t lose much weight J

 
**NOTE – this worked as above but if you want the end result to be prettier you should use 1 cup of chocolate chips.  The half cup was plenty but got scarce at the end so I couldn’t completely coat the last few bananas.  They still tasted good though and so refreshing on a hot night like last night.

Here is what they looked like

No comments:

Post a Comment