Saturday, May 5, 2012

Parsnips


The other day I wanted something crispy to have with dinner.  I found a recipe in Martha Stewart Living magazine for Smoky Parsnip Crisps.   They looked yummy but I have never been a fan of parsnips, still I thought I'd give them a try.  I didn't use the smoked paprika called for in the recipe as I didn't have any and didn't feel like buying the spice for a something I wasn't sure I'd like. 

The result was fabulous.  I absolutely loved these!!!!  And so did everyone else including my 17 month old.  Here is the recipe adapted from the MSL magazine.

This serves 4 as a side dish.
Ingredients:
1 pound bag of parsnips, peeled
Canola oil for deep frying (I had an almost full bottle which is what I used)
Kosher salt, for sprinkling

Directions:
Use a vegetable peeler to peel long thing strips from the parsnips until there is almost nothing left to peel.  Toss the strips by hand to separate.
Line a baking sheet with paper towels...oh and here is a tip.  I didn't try this but I heard if you crumple the papertowels before to put on the baking sheet, they allow more of the oil to drain off of the food instead of remaining/sitting in it.
Heat the oil in a dutch oven until it reaches 365 degrees F.   Add parsnip strips to the oil in small batches (I did a handful at a time), and turn gently with a spider (a wire skimmer) until pale golden in color (about 45 seconds).  Take the strips out with the spider and put on the paper towel lined baking sheet to absorb excess oil... sprinkle with salt to season.  Before you do the next batch make sure you allow the oil to come back to 365 degrees F.   Then enjoy!  These are soooo good.  The frying takes the bite out of the parsnips which is usually what I don't like about them.  They had a nice subtle sweetness to them.  So good you must try.   Let me know what you think.

 If you don't know what a spider is or don't have one.. here is the one I use.

No comments:

Post a Comment